The Housing Opportunities and Market Experience (HOME) report was created to monitor consumer sentiment about the housing market. This report covers core topics that will be tracked on a monthly basis such as views on if now is a good time to buy or sell a home, the perception of home price changes, perceived ability to qualify for a mortgage, and the outlook on the U.S. economy.
- In the third quarter of 2018, 63 percent of people believe that now is a good time to buy a home, which is the lowest percent recorded since the collection started in 2015.
- Thirty-nine percent believe that strongly and 24 percent believe that moderately.
- Only 37 percent of people believe that now is not a good time to buy a home.
- Seventy-seven percent of people believe that now is a good time to sell a home, which is the highest percent recorded, since the collection started in 2015. This is over a 10 percentage point increase from 63 percent in Q3 2016.
- Twenty-two percent believe that now is not a good time to sell a home.